About Lubbock
Home News Frescoes Museum Lubbock Children Search





   History of the Diocese  

The High Plains and Rolling Plains areas of West Texas - thePanhandle, the Llano Estacado ("Palisade Plains") or South Plains, and the Concho River Valley - first became home to a Roman Catholic Diocese when the Diocese of Amarillo was established in 1926. The Diocese of Amarillo embraced an area from Dalhart in the north to Ozona in the south. The part north of the Colorado River had been taken from the Dallas diocese and the section south of the river came from San Antonio (with two counties, Andrews and Ector, coming from El Paso).

The first bishop was Most Rev. Rudolph A. Cerken, then pastor of Ranger, Texas. In 1933, Bishop Cerken was appointed Archbishop of Santa Fe, and Robert E. Lucey came from California as Bishop of Amarillo. In 1941, Bishop Lucey was named Archbishop of San Antonio, and Most Rev. Laurence J.FitzSimon, then pastor of Seguin, Texas, became the third Bishop ofAmarillo. Bishop FitzSimon died in 1958 and was succeeded by his auxiliary. Bishop John L. Morkovsky.

In 1962, the San Angelo diocese was established and Rev. Thomas J. Drury, then pastor of Christ the King Parish in Lubbock, was named its first bishop. In 1965, Bishop Drury was transferred to Corpus Christi, and Most Rev. Thomas Tschoepe became Bishop of San Angelo.

In 1969, Bishop Tschoepe was transferred to Dallas and was succeeded by Bishop Stephen Leven, then an auxiliary bishop of San Antonio. Bishop Leven retired in 1979 and was succeeded by Most Rev. Joseph A. Fiorenza. When Bishop Fiorenza was transferred to Galveston-Houston in 1984, Bishop Michael D. Pfeifer, OMI, was named the fifth Bishop of San Angelo.

Meanwhile, back in Amarillo, Bishop Morkovsky had been transferred in 1963 to Calveston-Houston and Most Rev. Laurence M. DeFaIco came from Dallas to serve as the Bishop of Amarillo. Bishop DeFaIco died in 1979 and Most Rev. LeroyT. Matthiesen of Amarillo was named Bishop of Amarillo in 1980.

On June 17, 1983, the Diocese of Lubbock was created with Most Rev. Michael J. Sheehan as its first bishop. The Diocese of Lubbock embraces an area that was formerly in the Diocese of Amarillo, plus five counties (Jones, Scurry, Haskell, Fisher, and Stonewall) from the Diocese of San Angelo.

Ten years later, Bishop Sheehan was named Archbishop of Santa Fe and, on April 5, 1994, His Holiness Pope John Paul II announced the appointment of Bishop Placido Rodriguez, CMF, as the second Bishop of the Diocese of Lubbock. His episcopal installation took place on June 1, 1994, in Lubbock.


Timeline
1907  Saint John's, Hermleigh
1911  Saint Alice's, Plainview (called Holy Trinity Church until 1928)
1912  Saint Joseph's, Slaton
1921  Sacred Heart, Littlefield
1924  Sacred Heart, El Ranchito
 Saint Joseph's, Lubbock
1926  Holy Trinity, Hamlin
1928  Saint Mary Magdalen, Floydada
1926  Diocese of Amarillo established
 Saint Margaret Mary, Lamesa
 Our Lady of Mercy Hospital, Slaton
1931  Saint Philip's, Pep
1935  Saint Elizabeth's, Lubbock
1939  Saint Mary of the Plains Hospital, Lubbock
1944  Saint Theresa's, Hale Center (called Saint Charles Church, until 1961)
1946  Our Lady of Guadalupe, Plainview
1948  Saint Mary's, Spur
1950  Saint Michael's, Levelland
1951  Saint Jude's Tahoka (called Our Lady of Guadalupe until 1967)
1952  Our Lady of Guadalupe, Slaton
 Saint Elizabeth's, Snyder
 Saint Anthony's, Brownfield
1954  Saint Ann's, Morton
1955  Our Lady of Guadalupe, Snyder
 Saint William's, Denver City
 Saint Ann's, Stamford
 Saint Elizabeth's, Paducah
 Holy Cross, Post
1956  Immaculate Conception, Muleshoe
1957  Saint George's, Haskell
1958  Saint Peter's, Olton
 Saint James, Seminole
 Christ the King (Cathedral), Lubbock
1959  Saint Pius X, O'Donnell
 Sacred Heart, Petersburg
 Saint Michael's, Rails
1960  Saint Patrick's, Lubbock
 Our Lady of Grace, Lubbock
1961  Saint Theresa's, Lubbock (Carlisle)
 San Lorenzo, Lorenzo
 Sacred Heart, Plainview
 Blessed Sacrament, Wilson
1961  Saint Theresa's, Hale Center
 Sacred Heart, Plains
 Saint Paul's Seagraves
1962  Diocese of San Angelo established
 Saint Joseph's, Crosbyton
 Our Lady of Cuadalupe, Matador
1963  Saint Joseph's, Lockney
1965  Saint Philip Benizi, Shallowater
1966  Saint Isidore, Abernathy
 Saint Mary Magdalen, Earth
1967  Saint Anthony's, Anton
1972  Epiphany, Jayton (first church was Saint Mary's, built in 1929; moved to Spur in 1948 and property sold)
 Saint Mary's, Aspermont (first church was Sacred Heart, built in 1929; closed and sold in 1951)
1973  Saint Michael's, Anson
 Christian Renewal Center, Lubbock (now Catholic Renewal Center)
1974  San Ramon, Woodrow
 Saint Mary's, Sudan (closed September 1, 1996)
1976  Our Lady Queen Of Apostles, New Deal
1978  Saint Francis of Assisi, Wolfforth
1979  Saint Phillip's, Idalou
1980  Our Lady of Guadalupe, Lubbock
 Saint John Neumann's, Lubbock (Saint Peter's School built at this location by Saint Elizabeth's Parish in 1959)
 Mercy Retreat Center, Slaton (former convent of Sisters of Mercy who owned Mercy Hospital; officially deeded to the Diocese of Lubbock by the sisters in 1986)
1981  Holy Family, Cotton Center (closed August 17, 1996)
 San Francisco de Asis, Ropesville
1983  Diocese of Lubbock established
1985  Catholic Center (built with funds from Kennedy-East Foundation; now called the "Catholic Pastoral Center"
1988  San Isidro Mission, Sundown
1990  Our Lady of Guadalupe, Plainview (now located in the former City National Bank building.)
1998  Holy Spirit Church, Lubbock



Bishop Placido Rodriguez

Copyright 2001 - The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal Contact us